from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The greatest or supreme good.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The greatest good; the ultimate importance, the singular and most ultimate end which human beings ought to pursue.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The supreme or highest good, -- referring to the object of human life.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The chief or highest good.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the supreme good in which all moral values are included or from which they are derived
Latin : summum, neuter of summus, highest + bonum, good.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From medieval philosophy; Latin for the highest good. (Wiktionary)