from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One layer or stratum superimposed on another.
- n. Linguistics The language of a later, invading people imposed on and leaving features in an indigenous language.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A stratum that is on top of another
- n. A language imposed upon a population that previously spoke another language
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A stratum, or layer, above another.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A stratum or layer above another, or resting on something else.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any stratum or layer superimposed on another
- n. the language of a later invading people that is imposed on an indigenous population and contributes features to their language
super- + stratum (Wiktionary)