American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Exercising surveillance.
- n. One that exercises surveillance.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Keeping watch over another or others; overseeing; observant; watchful.
- n. One who keeps watch over another; a supervisor or overseer; also, a spy.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who watches over another; an overseer; a spy; a supervisor.
- adj. Overseeing; watchful.
- French (Wiktionary)
- French, present participle of surveiller, to watch over : sur-, over (from Old French; see sur-) + veiller, to watch (from Old French veillier, from Latin vigilāre, from vigil, watchful; see weg- in Indo-European roots). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It was almost as if his surveillant had read his mind today.”
“He made the acquaintance there of La Provostaye who was at the time a surveillant and who became his lifelong friend and his associate in his researches.”
“You will be the only lady, not the wife or daughter of an official of the place, who has ever entered at this gate, mademoiselle," he remarked as the key of the surveillant grated in the lock.”
“Que fit le surveillant général lorsque je lui fus présenté?”
“M.ssieurs, leur dit le surveillant général en me désignant, voici M. Daniel Eyssette, votre nouveau collègue.”
“Adaptiv uses the reliance on thermals in the battlefield against adversaries by manipulating these hot and cold readings to deceive the surveillant.”
“Britain is a world leader in CCTV cameras, keeping a policing and surveillant eye on its public.”
“A new Obama administration would be a timely opportunity to re-examine some of the surveillant practices of the last few years, and in particular the clandestine surveillance on Americans performed by the government (warrantless wiretapping). one in the New York Times by Eric Lichblau and James Risen (who broke the warrantless wiretapping story in 2005, forcing the Bush administration to admit it was breaking the law) and one at”
“a dozen of the eldest succeeded in obtaining leave, and I was commissioned to accompany them as surveillant.”
“Un instance énonciatif muet, sans corporalité, sans réactions, totalement neutre, mais surveillant et dont le rôle principale semble a être d’écouter la parole de la dépression.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘surveillant’.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Another of my random palavery lists for terms and phrases that don't fit into any of my other lists.
Looking for tweets for surveillant.