from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several ground squirrels of Europe and Asia, especially the small grayish European species Citellus citellus.
- n. The pelt or fur of this animal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several large Eurasian squirrels, of the genera Citellus or Spermophilus
- n. The fur of these animals
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A ground squirrel (Spermophilus citillus) of Europe and Asia. It has large cheek pouches.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Eurasiatic spermophile, Spermophilus citillus; hence, some related species of that genus; a kind of ground-squirrel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. rather large central Eurasian ground squirrel
Russian, from Old Russian susolŭ.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)