from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To die.
- v. To succumb or be overcome with emotion, heat, etc.; to faint or swelter
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- imp. of swell.
- intransitive v. To die; to perish.
- intransitive v. To faint; to swoon.
- transitive v. To overpower, as with heat; to cause to faint; to swelter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An obsolete preterit and past participle of swell.
- To become faint; faint; die.
- To faint with heat; swelter.
- To cause to die; kill; destroy.
- To cause to faint; overpower, as with heat; swelter.
Old English sweltan. (Wiktionary)