from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small, brightly colored, live-bearing freshwater fish (Xiphophorus helleri) of Central America, having a long tapering extension of the caudal fin in the male and popular in home aquariums.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A species of freshwater fish, Xiphophorus hellerii
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The limulus.
- n. Any hemipterous insect of the genus Uroxiphus, found upon forest trees.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A crustacean of the group Xiphosura, as the horseshoe- or king-crab. See cuts under horseshoe-crab and Limulus.
- n. Any bug of the genus Uroxiphus, as U. caryæ, the walnut swordtail.
- n. Same as sword-bearer .
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. freshwater fish of Central America having a long swordlike tail; popular aquarium fish
Sorry, no etymologies found.