from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small soft-finned fishes of the family Cyprinodontidae, which includes the killifishes, topminnows, and many species popular in home aquariums.
- adj. Of, relating to, or belonging to the family Cyprinodontidae.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the Cyprinodontidae, a family of fishes including the killifishes or minnows.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Cyprinodontidae, a family of fishes including the killifishes or minnows. See minnow.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or having the characters of the Cyprinodontidæ.
- n. Same as cyprinodontid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any member of the family Cyprinodontidae
Latin cyprīnus, carp (from Greek kuprīnos) + -odont.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ancient Greek κυπρίνος (kuprinos, "carp") + ὀδών (odon, "tooth"). (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.