from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several small New World freshwater fishes of the genus Fundulus, related to the killifishes.
- n. Any of various small viviparous New World fishes of the family Poeciliidae, of fresh or brackish waters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the ray-finned fish in the taxonomic family Fundulidae
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. freshwater fish of Central America having a long swordlike tail; popular aquarium fish
- n. small usually brightly-colored viviparous surface-feeding fishes of fresh or brackish warm waters; often used in mosquito control
So called because it swims near the surface of the water.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)