from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. sylvan
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Sylvan.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sylvan; inhabiting the woods.
- n. A nun belonging to the order of the Sylvestrians in its flourishing period. See Sylvestrian, 3.
- n. A memberof a female order of Sylvestrians which exists in Perugia. The habit is composed of a gown, scapulary, cowl, and mantle of a dark-brown color.
- Pertaining to the order of the Sylvestrians.
- n. One of an order of Roman Catholic monks under the Benedictine rule, confirmed by Pope Innocent IV. in 1247.
Latin sylvestris, better silvestris. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.