from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An automotive gear-shifting system in which the gears are synchronized at the same speeds before engaging to effect a smooth shift.
- n. A gear in such a system.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. System of synchronized transmission found in modern gearboxes to make gear changing easier and smoother.
- n. A device which functions like a synchronized transmission.
- adj. Having the quality or smoothly exchanging interlocking forces.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an automotive system for shifting gears in which the gears revolve at the same speed and so shift smoothly
Sorry, no etymologies found.