from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A toothed wheel.
- n. One of a set of cogged wheels within a mechanism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A gear wheel
- n. Something behaving in similar, jerky, manner as a cogwheel, e.g. cogwheel respiration as a side effect of hyperbaric medicine
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A wheel with cogs or teeth; a gear wheel. See Illust. of gearing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A wheel having teeth or cogs, used in transmitting motion by engaging the cogs of another similar wheel or of a rack; a geared wheel, or a gear.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion
Sorry, no etymologies found.