from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A horizontal beam at the ridge of a roof to which the rafters are attached. Also called ridgeboard.
- n. The horizontal pole at the top of a tent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a horizontal pole that supports the roof of a tent
- n. a beam along the ridge of a roof to which the rafters are attached
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The timber forming the ridge of a roof, into which the rafters are secured.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The board or timber at the ridge of a roof, into which the rafters are fastened. Also called ridge-plate or ridge-piece. See cut under roof.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a beam laid along the edge where two sloping sides of a roof meet at the top; provides an attachment for the upper ends of rafters
ridge + pole (Wiktionary)