from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A structure in which meat or fish is cured with smoke.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A structure used to smoke food to preserve it and to add flavor.
- n. A structure in which freshly harvested tobacco is cured or preserved by smoking.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A building where meat or fish is cured by subjecting it to a dense smoke.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A building in which meats or fish are cured by smoking; also, one in which smoked meats are stored.
- n. In leather manufacturing a close room heated by means of a fire of spent tan, which smolders, but produces no flame.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small house where smoke is used to cure meat or fish
Sorry, no etymologies found.