from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various toothlike projections arranged on a wheel rim to engage the links of a chain.
- n. A cylinder with a toothed rim that engages in the perforations of photographic or movie film to pull it through a camera or projector.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A toothed wheel that enmeshes with a chain or other perforated band.
- n. The tooth of such a wheel.
- n. A flared extension at the base of a sloped roof.
- n. A placeholder name for an unnamed, unspecified, or hypothetical manufactured good or product.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A tooth or projection, as on the periphery of a wheel, shaped so as to engage with a chain.
- n. A sprocket wheel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of a series of projections in a grooved recess round the lower part of a ship's capstan, by which the chain-cable is grasped while heaving up anchor.
- n. One of the projections on a sprocket-wheel which engage the chain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. roller that has teeth on the rims to pull film or paper through
- n. thin wheel with teeth that engage with a chain
- n. tooth on the rim of gear wheel
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology. (Wiktionary)