American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Sloping downward from opposite directions to meet in a common point or line.
- adj. Geology Relating to, formed by, or forming a syncline.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sloping downward in opposite directions so as to meet in a common point or line.
- In geology, dipping, as strata in any particular district or locality, toward one another on each side of the axis of the fold: the opposite of anticlinal. Compare cut under axis, 9.
- n. A synclinal fold, line, or axis.
- adj. chemistry Describing a torsion angle between 30° and 90°
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Inclined downward from opposite directions, so as to meet in a common point or line.
- adj. (Geol.) Formed by strata dipping toward a common line or plane
- n. (Geol.) A synclinal fold.
- adj. sloping downward toward each other to create a trough
“In addition to this technical difficulty, it was found that the Devonian synclinal, which is the geologic substructure of the region was disturbed by a tectonic anomaly in the form of a narrow band, less than one kilometer in width, which had become deflected in front of the Longlier valley, passing just under the terminal point where the construction of the railroad had stopped.”
“The four great luminous sheaves forming the corners of the square are made up of rays curving together from each side into "synclinal" or ogival groups, each of which may be compared to the petal of a flower.”
“The Uinta Basin Floor ecoregion lies in a large synclinal basin that is enclosed by the Uinta Mountains and Tavaputs Plateau.”
“The principal Formation is orientated in an east-west direction, and comprises both a long anticlinal and synclinal, the latter elevated over some degrees.”
“Occurring primarily in Utah, the Uinta Basin Floor ecoregion lies in a large synclinal basin enclosed by the Uinta Mountains and Tavaputs Plateau.”
“Ecoregion 37 is a synclinal and alluvial valley lying between the Ozark Highlands (39) and the Ouachita Mountains (36).”
“The strata at this bridge dipped N.N. E., a circumstance which induced me to travel westward instead of N. W., in hopes to cross thereby sooner, a synclinal line, and so arrive at the sources of some northern river.”
“The ridge trended north-west, as most others did in this extensive basin; and this direction being nearly parallel to that of the coast ranges further northward, seemed to afford additional reason for expecting to find anticlinal and synclinal lines, and, consequently, rivers, much in the same direction.”
“I returned from the hill but little wiser than I went, except that I had observed the strata dipping southward, and that we might, therefore, still look for their synclinal line to the northward; and beyond that, for the heads of other rivers.”
“Concrete roofing tile is a flat or synclinal covering element with or without grooves.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘synclinal’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words taken from Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
Words to remember from DFW's "Infinite Jest"
Being a list of words with the phrase "compare cut under" in their definitions. Compare see-cut-under.
Words which are highly likely to be found in the work of learned writers.
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Words encountered while reading "Infinite Jest". I'm sure I'm not the only person to have a list like this.
Looking for tweets for synclinal.