from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Progressively wasting away.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Wasting away, or becoming emaciated.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Withering, or wasting away.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In medicine, suffering from tabes; wasting away; becoming emaciated.
- In botany, wasting or shriveling.
Latin tābēscēns, tābēscent-, present participle of tābēscere, to waste away, inchoative of tābēre, from tābēs, a wasting away.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
C 1890, from Latin tabescens, present participle of tabescere (Wiktionary)