from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The part of a millrace below the water wheel through which the spent water flows.
- n. A channel for floating away mine tailings and refuse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The part of a millrace that carries water away from a water wheel.
- n. The part of a hydropower facility that carries water away from a turbine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See race, n., 6.
- n. The channel in which tailings, suspended in water, are conducted away.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The channel in which water runs from a mill after driving the wheel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a watercourse that carries water away from a mill or water wheel or turbine
Sorry, no etymologies found.