from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A plug or cover for the muzzle of a cannon or gun to keep out dust and moisture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A wooden plug, or a metal or canvas cover for the muzzle of a gun, a cannon or other piece of ordnance when not in use; a stopper; a bung.
- n. A plug for the upper end of an organ pipe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A wooden stopper, or plug, as for a cannon or other piece of ordnance, when not in use.
- n. A plug for upper end of an organ pipe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A stopper; a plug; a bung.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. plug for the muzzle of a gun to keep out dust and moisture
Middle English, from Old French tampon, variant of tapon, rag for stopping a hole, of Germanic origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)