from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that silences, especially a device attached to the muzzle of a firearm to muffle the sound of firing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An attachment to a gun or an exhaust pipe that reduces the sound it emits.
- n. Something that silences another thing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The muffler of an internal-combustion engine.
- n. Any of various devices to silence the humming noise of telegraph wires.
- n. A device for silencing the report of a firearm shooting its projectiles singly, as a tubular attachment for the muzzle having circular plates that permit the passage of the projectile but impart a rotary motion to, and thus retard, the exploding gases.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which silences.
- n. Same as muffler .
- n. A device, invented by H. P. Maxim, for silencing, or greatly reducing, the noise produced by the discharge of a rifle or other firearm.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a tubular acoustic device inserted in the exhaust system that is designed to reduce noise
- n. short tube attached to the muzzle of a gun that deadens the sound of firing
A silencer is basically a muffler that can change the performace and sound of the snowmobile.
Should any of them lose the luster off that lone dimension, be sure your silencer is on ... and then give 'em the ol 'heave-ho.
I had an old Magnum .45 that I had had custom made for me, with a built-in silencer.
If you have fired a weapon indoors without hearing protection, let alone in the dark and under stress, I think you will agree that lack of a silencer is a material burden on self defense.
We found the paperwork for a Treasury Department stamp tax of two hundred dollars for a class III device, approved by ATF, called a suppressor, which you would call a silencer.
The company claims that configuration options include an easy-to-read built-in pressure gauge and an exhaust silencer, which is a safety device in its own right.
A silencer is a device that attaches to the end of a gun and helps diminish the noise that a gun creates when it fires.
But why didn't technology come up with a way to make it cheaper to fly at supersonic speeds, and quieter, some kind of silencer for that sonic boom.
As he threw the other, with one of his "silencer" twists of the neck cords, the Jap sprang up.
Here’s what you get- 1. Engraved solid aluminum Location Earth Dog Tag 2. A 24″ ball chain chain with clasp 3. One black rubber dog tag silencer stops rattling 4. Info card and Alien Abduction Money Back Guarantee
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.