from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that silences, especially a device attached to the muzzle of a firearm to muffle the sound of firing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An attachment to a gun or an exhaust pipe that reduces the sound it emits.
- n. Something that silences another thing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The muffler of an internal-combustion engine.
- n. Any of various devices to silence the humming noise of telegraph wires.
- n. A device for silencing the report of a firearm shooting its projectiles singly, as a tubular attachment for the muzzle having circular plates that permit the passage of the projectile but impart a rotary motion to, and thus retard, the exploding gases.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which silences.
- n. Same as muffler .
- n. A device, invented by H. P. Maxim, for silencing, or greatly reducing, the noise produced by the discharge of a rifle or other firearm.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a tubular acoustic device inserted in the exhaust system that is designed to reduce noise
- n. short tube attached to the muzzle of a gun that deadens the sound of firing
silence + -er (Wiktionary)