American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A small table for holding a tea service.
- n. A small decorative three-legged table.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Originally, a small three-legged table or stand; hence, by extension, a small table for the tea-service, having three or four legs.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An ornamental stand, usually with three legs, having caddies for holding tea.
- Hindi तिपाई (tipāi), from Urdu تپائي (tipāʼī), from Sanskrit त्रि (trí, "three") + पाद (pā́da, "foot") + the nominalizing suffix -ʼī. (Wiktionary)
- Hindi tipāī, alteration (influenced by Hindi tir, three) of Persian si-pāya, three : si, three; + Middle Persian pāī, foot. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A teapoy is usually a hammock slung on a pole carried on the shoulders of natives.”
“She set it on a glass-topped teapoy in front of the chair.”
“On the teapoy on the right, were vases from the Ju”
“Feeling his hand tired, he dropped the book he held, leant his head on a teapoy, and fell asleep.”
“On the teapoy on the left, were spread out Wen Wang tripods, spoons, chopsticks and scent-bottles.”
“She herself, nevertheless, felt too listless to join the banquet, so simply reclining on a sofa of the inner room, she looked at the plays in company with Mrs. Hsüeh; and choosing several kinds of such eatables as were to her taste, she placed them on a small teapoy, and now helped herself to some, and now talked, as the fancy took her.”
“The rest of the inmates had, all alike, a chair and a teapoy.”
“No table stood below the couch, but only a high teapoy.”
“On the teapoy were arrayed cups, bowls, foreign cloth napkins and such things.”
“Neither should any banquet be spread, but a high teapoy can be placed in front of each, with one or two things to suit our particular tastes.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘teapoy’.
descriptions of places where words may be culled, lulled, mulled and otherwise unhulled:
inspired by ni8ce loittle corner of the intenet
All things tea (lingo, paraphernalia, types).
This list was originally titled 'Furniture I Never Had'. I changed it to 'Things I Never Had' because I'm not much interested in furniture anyway :-( There's a whole wider world of not-having out t...
Some surprises, at least for me!
Looking for tweets for teapoy.