from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See tegmen.
- n. A part of the midbrain consisting of white fibers running lengthwise through gray matter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The ventral portion of the midbrain, divided from the tectum by the cerebral aqueduct and the periaqueductal grey
- n. Containing the following nuclei: red nucleus, substantia nigra, ventral tegmental area
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A covering; -- applied especially to the bundles of longitudinal fibers in the upper part of the crura of the cerebrum.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The outer porous layer of the shell of polyplacophorous mollusks or chitons, which covers the inner porcelanous articulamentum.
- n. In botany, the scaly coat which covers the leaf-buds of deciduous trees; also, one of the scales of such covering.
- n. In anatomy, the larger and deeper or upper of two parts into which each crus cerebri is divisible, separated from the crusta by the substantia nigra.
Latin tegumentum, tegmentum, covering, from tegere, to cover.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)