American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of numerous generally small, rounded, dark brown to green glassy objects that are composed of silicate glass and are thought to have been formed by the impact of a meteorite with the earth's surface.
- n. A small, round, dark glassy object, composed of silicates, formed by the rapid cooling of meteorite fragments that hit the Earth.
- n. thought to derive from meteorites
- From Ancient Greek τηκτός ("molten"), from τήκειν (tēkein, "to melt"). (Wiktionary)
- Greek tēktos, molten (from tēkein, to melt) + -ite1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Case said the rocks are in glass cases, and are pock-marked black tektite; one is tear-dropped shaped and about 3.5 inches long by 1.25 inches wide, and a half an inch thick.”
“The game has to be challenging, therefore a tektite is put in Link's path and he must kill it.”
“Anonymous talks about things like Link killing a tektite and how nothing philosophically significant should be extracted from such things.”
“Link killing the tektite is not some kind of commentary on how humans treat animals, it's not a detail created to establish Link's character, to convey him as courageous or to study the emotion he goes through when he does it.”
“TO A YOUNG MAN ASPIRING FOR WIZARDRY tektite serpent's jawbone lizard's tail monkey's paw curse of an aging snake, frog's croak distilled in dew sign omens gypsy spells-”
“As we gained experience and felt ready for longer tests, rocks from farther off would replace it, till the broom circled Earth carrying a tektite -- terrestrial, but fused and scattered by meteorite impact.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tektite’.
Mysterious and theoretical substances and "stuff" of legend. More emphasis on the ancient, mystical, mythical, folklore, mathematical, and scientific. I won't be listing too many "sci-fi" or comed...
Another compilation of spelling words suitable for intermediate to advanced spellers.
to be used.
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
heat death, End of Greatness, dark flow, Lyman-alpha forest, supervoid, redshift, weakly interactin..., robust associatio..., light dark matter, dark matter halo, Great Attractor, warm dark matter and 101 more...
Hecko, words! Thanks for staying with me. :-)
Celestial bodies, adjectives, adverbs or verbs.
words I encounter that denote objects, phenomena, or ideas that are new, or as new, to me.
Looking for tweets for tektite.