from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Zoology An elongated flexible unsegmented extension, as one of those surrounding the mouth or oral cavity of the squid, used for feeling, grasping, or locomotion.
- n. Botany One of the sensitive hairs on the leaves of insectivorous plants, such as the sundew.
- n. A similar part or extension, especially with respect to the ability to grasp or stretch: an espionage network with far-reaching tentacles.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An elongated, boneless, flexible organ or limb of some animals, such as the octopus and squid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A more or less elongated process or organ, simple or branched, proceeding from the head or cephalic region of invertebrate animals, being either an organ of sense, prehension, or motion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology, some or any elongated and comparatively slender or flexible process or appendage of an animal, used as an organ of touch, or for exploration, prehension, and sometimes locomotion; a feeler; a tentaculum.
- n. In botany, a kind of sensitive hair or filament, such as the glandular hairs of Drosera.
- n. Figuratively, anything resembling a tentacle; a feeler.
- n. See the adjectives.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something that acts like a tentacle in its ability to grasp and hold
- n. any of various elongated tactile or prehensile flexible organs that occur on the head or near the mouth in many animals; used for feeling or grasping or locomotion
If one tentacle is chopped off, the starfish grows a new one, making it a model of resilience.
The right tentacle is recognizable (blue arrow) and so is the pneumostome, the breathing hole (green arrow).
The structure of each tentacle is based on the Fin Ray Effect®.
The tip of the tentacle was a hardened ball, the size of a large fist.
These all possess an extraordinary organ situated on the neck, the well-known Y-shaped tentacle, which is entirely concealed in a state of repose, but which is capable of being suddenly thrown out by the insect when alarmed.
The tentacle could be a great way to scare the shit out of them.
So, if Obama chooses the second option (i.e., be just a new "tentacle" of the elites), the outrage of betrayed Americans will almost certainly transform American politics radically and forever.
Obama will either be a new "tentacle" of the elites (which will catalyze some kind of national "revolt"), or he will be a champion of the people who elected him and work to liberate our dying country (and human ecosystems) from the evil of astronomically rich elites. '
At first it looked like he was spawning some kind of tentacle, but no… it had fingers.
If it really did expose a "tentacle" or some other inherent piece of the plot, it would definitely be online by now.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.