Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Formed of small pieces of stone, glass, or the like, generally square or four-sided in plan, and long in proportion to their breadth. See tessera, 1.
- In botany, checkered; having the colors arranged in small squares, thus resembling a tessellated pavement.
- In zoology, checkered or reticulated in a regular manner, by either the coloration or the formation of the parts of a surface. Having colored patches resembling mosaic work or a checker-board.
- adj. Covered with pieces that are similarly shaped.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of tessellate.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Formed of little squares, as mosaic work; checkered.
- adj. (Bot. & Zoöl.) Marked like a checkerboard.
- adj. decorated with small pieces of colored glass or stone fitted together in a mosaic
- adj. having a checkered or mottled appearance
“Such as are viviparous are hair-coated, and such as are oviparous are covered with a kind of tessellated hard substance; and the tessellated bits of this substance are, as it were, similar in regard to position to a scale.”
“What emerges is a tessellated portrait, a composite of many pixelated hits, where if we had a chance, we'd naturally smooth those pieces into a story.”
“I saw tremendous tessellated pools of anger, inexplicable rage, one that said - vengeance is my outlet.”
“He remembered first learning to master the tessellated squares alone in his basement, a cobwebbed series of spider nests along the ceiling, the static sheen of a computer screen backlighting their wiry, clockwise movement.”
“He vaguely remembered first learning to master the tessellated squares alone in his basement, a cobwebbed series of spider nests along the ceiling, the static sheen of a computer screen backlighting their wiry, clockwise movement.”
“As we pulled up to the front entrance, two ebullient doormen outfitted in traditional white jellabas and fez hats opened the doors to reveal spotless floors of tessellated Islamic tile.”
“You will see moments of Titian's dazzling spatial web, Claude Lorrain's wispy trees, the clouds of Tiepolo as well as flashes of Byzantine mosaics in Monet's tessellated surfaces and quivering contours.”
“Luncheon" clinched for me what "tessellated" and "rubious" had clinched for him: he was certainly a fellow inhabitant from our distant galaxy.”
“As usual, the front of the house seemed deserted, the tessellated hall was empty, unnaturally silent.”
“Gotalife presents a touching homage to Alice's Restaurant in this short scene, touching on an intensely poignant Pressure Point that harkens to the wildly tessellated Tender Mercies that have brought him so much love from the TPM audience this campaign season.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tessellated’.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Bring forth the cathartic illumination on malignant,maniacal,medical,menage a trios and more egotists stymie
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
Words that I like.
Many may be lexicographically impotent due to a lack of citations and definition. Hopefully I'll be able to rectify this eventually.
I have a list for words learned from Newsweek; here's where I keep all the stuff from other shit I read.
Except when I'm looking stuff up and find new words that way. Those go on their...
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Terms used in Zoology
Comparing images, cut-up, and mixing meaning.
Words that I do not know or unsure for toefl
Looking for tweets for tessellated.