from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling a turtle or tortoise.
- n. A turtle or tortoise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, like or relating to a tortoise.
- adj. Resembling a tortoise shell in appearance or structure; arched; vaulted.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Resembling a tortoise shell in appearance or structure; roofed; arched; vaulted.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling the carapace of a tortoise; arched; vaulted; fornicated. Also testudinated.
- Of or pertaining to the Testudinata; chelonian.
- n. One of the Testudinata or Chelonia.
The only flight of a testudinate which we remember is that downward one of the unfortunate tortoise that cracked the bald crown of
The testudinate is employed where the span is not great, and where large rooms are provided in upper stories.
There are five different styles of cavaedium, termed according to their construction as follows: Tuscan, Corinthian, tetrastyle, displuviate, and testudinate.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.