American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling a turtle or tortoise.
- n. A turtle or tortoise.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling the carapace of a tortoise; arched; vaulted; fornicated. Also testudinated.
- Of or pertaining to the Testudinata; chelonian.
- n. One of the Testudinata or Chelonia.
- adj. Of, like or relating to a tortoise.
- adj. Resembling a tortoise shell in appearance or structure; arched; vaulted.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Resembling a tortoise shell in appearance or structure; roofed; arched; vaulted.
- From Latin testūdinātus ("arched, vaulted"), from testūdō ("tortoise") + -ātus. (Wiktionary)
- From New Latin Testūdināta, order name, from Testūdō, type genus, from Latin testūdō, testūdin-, tortoise; see testudo. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The only flight of a testudinate which we remember is that downward one of the unfortunate tortoise that cracked the bald crown of”
“The testudinate is employed where the span is not great, and where large rooms are provided in upper stories.”
“There are five different styles of cavaedium, termed according to their construction as follows: Tuscan, Corinthian, tetrastyle, displuviate, and testudinate.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘testudinate’.
Looking for tweets for testudinate.