from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A structure on a river steamboat containing the pilothouse and the officers' quarters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the top-most cabin deck on a steamboat
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A structure on the hurricane deck of a steamer, containing the pilot house, officers' cabins, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Hence The elevated gallery, resembling a louver or clearstory, in a grainelevator.
- n. A structure on the hurricanedeck of a steamboat, containing the cabins for the officers. The pilot-house is on top of it.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the second largest state; located in southwestern United States on the Gulf of Mexico
After Texas (from the fact that steamboat cabins were named after states and the officers' quarters were the largest).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the practice of naming cabins after U.S. states, the state of Texas having been recently admitted to the Union. (Wiktionary)