from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various widely distributed, chiefly nocturnal, curlewlike shore birds of the family Burhinidae, having large heads, large yellow eyes, and knobby leg joints.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Several species of large terrestrial birds in the stone-curlew family Burhinidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A stone curlew. See under stone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bird of the family Œdicnemidæ; a thick-kneed plover, or stone-plover.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large-headed large-eyed crepuscular or nocturnal shorebird of the Old World and tropical America having a thickened knee joint
From thick + knee (Wiktionary)