from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A play used to restart play in soccer after the ball has gone over the sideline, in which a player on the team not responsbile for putting the ball out of bounds flings the ball with both hands over the head back onto the field.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A set-piece where the ball is thrown back into play
- n. A throw of the ball back into play by the boundary umpire. The umpire faces away from the players and throws it in over his or her shoulder (so as to clearly not favour either side by where exactly it's thrown).
- n. the start time of a Gaelic football match, comparable to kick off in other games.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (rugby) an act or instance of throwing a ball in to put it into play
Sorry, no etymologies found.