American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Shoddy material, as for the construction of standardized housing.
- adj. Made of shoddy material; cheaply built.
- adj. Marked by a mediocre uniformity of appearance or style: ticky-tacky rows of look-alike houses.
- adj. Tawdry; tacky.
- n. US Cheap, low-quality building material, especially as that used to make conventional suburban housing of a uniform design
- adj. US Made of this material
- Reduplication of tacky2. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The overall effect is to put a bureaucratic stranglehold on attempts of protest organizers to give expression to the 1st amendment, so tying them up in ticky-tacky provisions, fines and possible jail time that only a masochist would organize a protest with a message that the city fathers don't want to hear.”
“The monstrous and incredibly ugly development of ticky-tacky on Jocotepec´s east side reminds me of another place from my youth.”
“As you may know I have a fondness for the ticky-tacky known as Reality Television, I so love the term because it's so not anyone's reality I've ever known.”
“Horns, pedal steel, folk guitars and ticky-tacky drum-machine beats flesh out the arrangements under the vocal harmonies.”
“Pabian has done exactly that with his own unfashionable, scary book, which is in no way a Big One ticky-tacky book.”
“At the endpoint all our stuff, including political institutions, is "made out of ticky-tacky and it all looks just the same.”
“And now Mars Bar, the last Mohican, will fall for another ticky-tacky glass box.”
“Pete Seeger had a huge success of his own with the song, which ridiculed the harmless citizens of Daly City, California, and gave us the word ticky-tacky.”
“It was a new housing development, and nearly every house looked “ticky-tacky” like every other house.”
“Back in the ancient days when I was a youth, we all wore gray flannel suits to school, spent most of the day learning to duck and cover, and then went home afterwards to our little houses made of ticky-tacky.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ticky-tacky’.
Fun words my friend loves and others I introduced to him.
Sharp as in tack
Looking for tweets for ticky-tacky.