from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small, tinkling bell.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small clinking bell.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bell; also, a set or combination of bells or metal plates used as a musical instrument or as a toy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bell; specifically, a grelot: especially applied to such an object of antique Roman origin.
- n. A rattle formed of small bells or small plates of metal.
Middle English, from Latin tintinnābulum, from tintinnāre, to jingle, reduplication of tinnīre, to ring, of imitative origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin tintinnābulum ("bell"). (Wiktionary)