from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Any box which is used to contain workmen's tools.
  • n. An English term for the holder of the steel cutting-tool on the carriage of machine-tools, such as lathes, planers, shapers, slotters, etc. It is often used to cover all parts having a feed-function above the saddle which runs on the ways of the bed of the machine.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.