from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Mathematics A surface generated by a closed curve rotating about, but not intersecting or containing, an axis in its own plane.
- n. Mathematics A solid having such a surface.
- n. A body having the shape of a toroid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A surface generated by a closed curve (especially a circle) rotating about, but not intersecting or containing, an axis in its own plane.
- n. A ring-shaped object whose surface is a torus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as toroidal.
- n. A surface or solid of revolution determined by revolving any closed-plane contour about an axis in its plane which does not intersect it.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a ring-shaped surface generated by rotating a circle around an axis that does not intersect the circle
- n. the doughnut-shaped object enclosed by a torus
tor(us) + -oid.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)