from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The mottled, horny, translucent, brownish covering of the carapace of certain tortoises or turtles, especially the hawksbill, used to make combs, jewelry, and other articles.
- n. A synthetic imitation of natural tortoiseshell.
- n. See hawksbill.
- n. A domestic cat having fur with brown, black, and yellowish markings.
- n. Any of several butterflies, chiefly of the genus Nymphalis, having wings with orange, black, and brown markings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The horny, translucent, mottled covering of the carapace of the hawksbill turtle, used as a veneer etc.
- n. The hawksbill turtle.
- n. A domestic cat whose fur has black, brown and yellow markings.
- n. Any of several butterflies, mostly of the genus Mymphalis that have similar markings.
- adj. made of the covering of carapace of hawksbill turtle
- adj. having markings resembling covering of carapace of hawksbill turtle
tortoise + shell (Wiktionary)