from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a group of fungi similar to the yeasts but lacking asci, many of which ferment sugars and are commonly found in dairy products. Also called torula yeast.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of a group of fungi, Candida utilis, related to the yeasts, sometimes used in processed food
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A chain of special bacteria.
- n. A genus of budding fungi. Same as saccharomyces. Also used adjectively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, a small torus.
- n. A genus of mucedinous fungi, having decumbent sterile hyphæ and conidia single or in a series. About 100 species are known.
New Latin Torula, fungus genus, feminine diminutive of torus, bulge.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)