from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A condition in which the blood contains toxins produced by body cells at a local source of infection or derived from the growth of microorganisms. Also called blood poisoning.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Blood poisoning; adverse reaction to toxic byproducts of systemic infection.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The presence of a toxic substance or substances in the blood; septicemia; blood-poisoning.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. blood poisoning caused by bacterial toxic substances in the blood
- n. an abnormal condition of pregnancy characterized by hypertension and edema and protein in the urine
Sorry, no etymologies found.