American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Shaped like or resembling a wheel, as the ciliated ring of a rotifer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Wheel-like; rotiform; discoidal: as, a trochal disk or organ (see below). Also trochate.
- Having a trochal disk or organ; trochate; trochiferous.
- Encircling or surrounding, like the tire of a wheel or the rim of a disk: as, a trochal set of cilia.
- Revolving; spinning like a top; trochilic.
- adj. zoology Resembling a wheel.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Zoöl.) Resembling a wheel.
- From Ancient Greek a wheel. (Wiktionary)
- From Greek trokhos, wheel; see troche. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He found that if the similar anucleate "polar lobe" of this form is removed at the two-celled stage, deficient larvæ are formed, in which the post-trochal region and the apical organ are absent.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘trochal’.
Terms used in Zoology
words in the nature of double spirals
Looking for tweets for trochal.