from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of troglodyte.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of apes including the chimpanzee.
- n. A genus of singing birds including the common wrens.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ornithology: A genus of wrens, type of the family Troglodytidae, based by Vieillot in 1807 on T. aëdon.
- n. In the form Troglodites, a Linnean name (1744) of humming-birds, later (1748–66) called Trochilus. Compare similar confusion of trochilus, 1 and .
- n. In mammalogy, a genus of anthropoid apes, instituted by Isidore Geoffroy St. Hilaire after 1807, containing the chimpanzee, T. niger, and the gorilla, T. gorilla.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Troglodytidae
Sorry, no etymologies found.