American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A revolving cylindrical sieve used for screening or sizing rock and ore.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In mining, a revolving cylindrical sieve for cleaning or sizing ore. Also called sizing-trommel and washing-drum or washing-trommel, according as it is used for sizing or for cleaning ores. See sizing, 3.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mining) A revolving buddle or sieve for separating, or sizing, ores.
- Compare German Trommel a drum. (Wiktionary)
- German, from Middle High German trummel, diminutive of trumme, drum, probably of imitative origin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“trommel" that uses centrifugal force to extract smaller materials, a "destoner" to separate light and heavy things, a "star screen" to separate soft and hard objects, and an array of other gadgets.”
“The two new cues were recorded directly into the master for the scene 1 mix, and are very simple -- the first is a lute piece wrapped around Hermia and Lysander's conversation, while the bridging piece consists of pan flute and trommel -- simple and effective.”
“Top: Mr. Sherlund's trommel plant separates rock and dirt from the gold; bottom: Sherlund's gold melted into bars stored in vials.”
“Nearby, Mr. Sherlund's nephew Shane manipulated the long arm of a Caterpillar excavator to feed the dirt from the pile into a trommel: a big rotating barrel with water flowing through it that spits out large rocks on one end and directs silt and small stones into a sluice, a long bed of metal louvers that trap the gold.”
“Reform Committee became aware of that factor in their case which has since become famous as 'de trommel van Bobby White' -- Major Robert”
“(For an additional price, WWR can add a 2 "daisywheel trommel screen to make 2" fuel chips).”
“At the very bottom of the recycling food chain are plastic shopping bags-and the dreaded "trommel snake.”
“Primary trommel operations and second water cannon on discharge, April 2009”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘trommel’.
Words formed in imitation of the sound of the things they signify.
Looking for tweets for trommel.