from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The circular horizontal rotating platform of a phonograph on which the record is placed.
- n. A phonograph exclusive of amplifying circuitry and speakers.
- n. A circular horizontal rotating platform equipped with a railway track, used for turning locomotives, as in a roundhouse.
- n. A rotating platform or disk, such as a lazy Susan.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the circular rotating platform of a record player or DJ console
- n. a similar device to be connected to the amplifier of a hi-fi system
- n. a circular rotating platform used for turning locomotives, cars or trucks
- n. a rotating platform designed for use by a car, either motorized or manually rotated, and usually installed in a driveway or in a garage floor
- v. To manipulate sound using turntables; to perform turntablism.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large revolving platform, for turning railroad cars, locomotives, etc., in a different direction; -- called also turnplate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A circular platform designed to turn upon its center, and supported by a series of wheels that travel upon a circular track laid under the edge of the platform.
- n. A device used in tracing the circular cementcells for microscope-slides.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a circular horizontal platform that rotates a phonograph record while it is being played
- n. a revolving tray placed on a dining table
- n. a rotatable platform with a track; used to turn locomotives and cars
Surrounding the turntable is a circular road, complete with center stripes.
They are not what I call a turntable act, it's all about great live performances.
"We did a lot of what I call turntable hits," she says.
When I explain it like that, I get the response "Well, since the turntable is not working and has not worked in a year or so, why don't you get rid of the vinyl?"
She does not understand the joy of having a vinyl album in it's full glory, a cassette of the same album (so you can listen to it in the car) and a CD of it also (with some extra tracks and good sound) which I can play at the house since my turntable is currently not working.
The turntable is from ION; setup and use is a breeze; this type of technology has been around for a while, but because of how simple this configuration is, I highly recommend it. (more …)
By my math this turntable is now closer to $92 Canadian (plus tax and shipping, of course).
Everything you can do on a turntable is easily imitated on a keyboard, and the keyboard can do a lot that would be well-nigh impossible via vinyl.
This beautiful turntable is powered by a 2.5 cc engine.
If you plan to pipe cakes or cupcakes, a turntable is an absolutely essential piece of equipment.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.