from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal Infectious mononucleosis.
- adj. Informal Monaural; monophonic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. abbreviation for monaural or monophonic; having only a single audio channel
- n. Short name for the disease mononucleosis
- n. (UK, Australia) A bicycle or motorcycle trick where the front wheel is lifted off the ground while riding
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The black howler (Mycetes villosus), a monkey of Central America.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The black howler or howling monkey, Mycetes villosus.
- n. A prefix in many words of Greek origin or formation, meaning ‘single,’ ‘one.’
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an acute disease characterized by fever and swollen lymph nodes and an abnormal increase of mononuclear leucocytes or monocytes in the bloodstream; not highly contagious; some believe it can be transmitted by kissing
- adj. designating sound transmission or recording or reproduction over a single channel
*** Update *** I was thinking of the term mono no aware.
The thin mono is easy to control and sinks fast, getting my lure down to where the fish are.
Also mono is cheap and I change line frequently. 1/4lb spools of ANDE mono can be had for what 100 yards of superline costs.
So, with one mic in mono, it's absolutely in phase, and that's part of what's so attractive about it.
Looking back at it today, she says, the album now viewed as a lost soul music classic faced obstacles that thwarted its release: recorded in mono, LaVette was also overshadowed by Atlantic's R&B star, Aretha Franklin, and, she surmises, "my voice was too hard to accept."
Again, your cognitive disconnect — all the same things that can happen with ‘open’ homosexuals can happen with ‘closeted’ ones or even without any at all — most sexual harassment in mono-gender barracks is between heterosexual males (again do you have no locker room experience at all?)
Our Crosby Stills Nash & Young albums were played (in mono) through the same circuits that had once hosted Phil Rizzuto shouting "Holy cow!" at Mickey Mantle's latest exploits.
If you encode in mono at 16 kbs, which I do for some talk radio programs, an hour's worth is around 7 MB.
The knot I use for mono is usually a palomar also, but for some lures where tying a palomar is difficult (long treble laden plugs, like spooks or crankbaits) I use a uni knot.
A quality 4-pound mono is standard, but many big-perch fanatics use a superbraid matched with a fluorocarbon leader.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.