Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Noting that right in land which prevailed in northern Europe before the introduction of the feudal system. Udal tenure still prevails in Orkney and Shetland. This tenure, which was completed by undisturbed possession provable by witnesses, has been held by the Scotch Court of Session to be the same as allodial. Also
- n. An allodium; a freehold.
- adj. Finland, Shetland, Orkney allodial
GNU Webster's 1913
- Vars. of odal, etc.; property held by udal, or allodial, right -- Obs. exc. in Shetland and the Orkney Islands, where
udaldesignates a freehold, land held in fee simple without any charter and free of any feudal character.
- adj. Allodial; -- a term used in Finland, Shetland, and Orkney. See allodial.
“Or put anothet way no better than udal robber barons or (Howdy Duty and the Hunter) Bush/chaine”
“The _mahout_ and the coolie were already cleaning the deer and, without troubling to cut it up, bound its legs together with _udal_ fibre and tied it to the pad of their elephant; and the party moved on again.”
“Many other battles King Harald fought, and many other kings did he subdue -- all of which, however, we will pass over at present, merely observing that wherever he conquered he laid down the law that all the udal property should belong to him, and that the bonders -- the hitherto free landholders -- both small and great, should pay him land dues for their possessions.”
“And I would here remind you that Harald is our rightful King, udal-born to the Kingdom of Norway, his title having been stated and proved at all the District Things, beginning with the Ore Thing of Drontheim, and having been approved by all the people of Norway.”
“Lemoako udal Kiroldegia, Lehendakari Agirre kaleko 25. zenbakian kokatua dago, eta hurrengo instalazinoak ditu: 1.”
“Aire zabaleko udal igerilekuak: (umeentzat 1 eta nagusientzat 1) 3.”
“bonders", but not by any means similar to peasants in other lands; on the contrary, they were the udal-born proprietors of the soil -- the peasant-nobility, so to speak, the Udallers, or freeholders, without any superior lord, and were entitled to attend and have a voice in the”
“But who does not know also, that our laws are above our King, that Harald is at this time trampling on these laws, and is everywhere setting at defiance the small kings, who are as truly udal-born to their rights and titles as himself? ”
Looking for tweets for udal.