from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of a body of horse cavalry that formed part of the Polish, German, Austrian, and Russian armies.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A lancer, a soldier armed with a lance in a former light cavalry unit of the Polish, Prussian, Austrian, and Russian armies.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of a certain description of militia among the Tartars.
- n. One of a kind of light cavalry of Tartaric origin, first introduced into European armies in Poland. They are armed with lances, pistols, and sabers, and are employed chiefly as skirmishers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A soldier mounted and armed with a lance, and wearing a kind of semi-Oriental dress with loose hanging sleeves and very baggy trousers: originally known in the eastern countries of Europe.
I used the Foundry figures to create my version of the von Kleist freikorps, because Foundry has all of the necessary elements, including the rarely-made uhlans and uhlan bandsmen in their Turkish style uniforms.
It meant “The uhlan on the third watch at the North Gate is a friend.”
Rexia, they both knew, had a weakness for officers, though she could be friendly to a uhlan if need be.
Now I took it from the little leathern sack Dorcas had sewn for me in Thrax, touched the steward's forehead with it, and sought to do again whatever it had been that I had done for the girl in the jacal, the man-ape beside the falls, and the dead uhlan.
The 36,000 troopers of the cavalry arm were organized into eight cuirassier, six dragoon, twelve hussar and three uhlan regiments.
In the case of the 11 hussar and 5 uhlan regiments of the light cavalry, the number of service squadrons per regiment was increased to 8, with a further 2 in the training centers.
For example, there was the former clergyman, Sam Chapman, who had been a captain of artillery, or the Prussian uhlan lieutenant, Baron Robert von Massow, who gave up a captaincy on Stuart's staff, or the
The uhlan had become a terror, but not without some provocation.
Through one of these apparently unguarded openings a strong body of uhlan patrols advanced, riding southward until they reached
"Your choice?" asked the uhlan, impatiently, after a moment's pause.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.