from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To perform not as well as (something else): three stocks that underperformed the market as a whole.
- transitive v. To perform (a musical or theatrical work, for example) too seldom: In recent years, her plays have been underperformed.
- intransitive v. To exhibit a level of performance that is below the standard: Defense industry companies have underperformed during the last two quarters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To underachieve, to not reach standards or expectations, especially with respect to a financial investment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. perform less well or with less success than expected
- v. perform too rarely
Much of the upside from the subsidy appears to be priced into today's jump; expect short-term underperform, especially if subsidy details clarify enthusiasm wasn't fully justified.
His recommendation is an understated "underperform" - Wall Street code for sell.
Italian auto group Fiat SpA fell 2.8% after it was downgraded to "underperform" from "neutral" by Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
Italian auto group Fiat fell 2.8% after it was downgraded to "underperform" from "neutral" by Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
Pernod Ricard dropped 2.7% in Paris after the drinks company was downgraded to "underperform" from "neutral" at Credit Suisse.
The analyst rated the stock an "underperform" and applied a $0 price target.
For instance, CLSA's Mike Mayo, who has an "underperform" rating on CitIgroup, says the bank, after refusing to give him meetings with senior management for nearly two years, recently acquiesced and met with him Oct. 1.
The investment bank downgraded the stock to "underperform" from "buy" and cut its target price by 38% to 4.40 Hong Kong dollars (about 57 cents).
Woods cut its investment rating on the stock to "underperform" from "market perform" and set a share-price target of $6 for the insurer, saying it sees "little long-term value in the common shares."
Lululemon Athletica fell 3.63, or 10%, to 31.90 after Jefferies cut its stock-investment rating on the Canada-based company to "underperform" from "hold," saying recent data suggest a decelerating U.S. retail environment at a time when Lululemon is building inventories and elevating investments.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.