from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A transmission path by which radio or other signals are sent to an aircraft or a communications satellite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The portion of a communications link used for the transmission of signals from an Earth terminal to a satellite or to an airborne platform. An uplink is the converse of a downlink. An uplink or downlink is distinguished from reverse link or forward link.
- n. By analogy and less formally, the communication path from a mobile device to a base station, a consumer to the network backbone, a client device to a server etc.
- n. data transmission from a data station to the headend.
- n. GSM and cellular networks, uplink is the transmission path from a mobile station to the base station (cell site).
- v. To transmit a signal by means of an uplink.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a transmission from Earth to a spacecraft or the path of such a transmission
Stuart explained on-air that "ultimate uplink" is designed to enhance interviews.
Says ESPN's Mike Soltys: "Ultimate uplink is a visually compelling experience and has the potential to offer immediate reaction with newsmakers in a more engaging manner."
ADSL2 can give you 24 Mb/s dedicated to a single customer – but the uplink is shared.
The idea-to stream black box data in real time, either directly to a ground station or by satellite relay-isn't new, even though there remains no consensus on whether to call it an uplink, which is conceptually accurate, or a downlink, which expresses the physical relationship of an airplane to the ground.
Also new is a powerful Monte Carlo simulation for LTE systems that allows for further exploration of network performance indicators, such as uplink CQI and interference statistics.
You mean like losing the comm uplink to the UAV controllers?
ESPN, which plans to launch a 3-D network this summer, unveiled "ultimate uplink" during Sunday's NBA pregame show on ABC.
I want a direct uplink on this operation in real time.
Then there's the fact that current networks are built with downlink capacity much greater than uplink.
Connections will be 5 to 12 megabits per second on the downlink and 2 to 5 Mbps on the uplink, the company said.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.