from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A transmission path by which radio or other signals are sent to an aircraft or a communications satellite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The portion of a communications link used for the transmission of signals from an Earth terminal to a satellite or to an airborne platform. An uplink is the converse of a downlink. An uplink or downlink is distinguished from reverse link or forward link.
- n. By analogy and less formally, the communication path from a mobile device to a base station, a consumer to the network backbone, a client device to a server etc.
- n. data transmission from a data station to the headend.
- n. GSM and cellular networks, uplink is the transmission path from a mobile station to the base station (cell site).
- v. To transmit a signal by means of an uplink.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a transmission from Earth to a spacecraft or the path of such a transmission
up + link (Wiktionary)