from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An upward stroke, as of a brush.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the upward stroke of a brush, piston etc
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An upward stroke, especially the stroke, or line, made by a writing instrument when moving upward, or from the body of the writer, or a line corresponding to the part of a letter thus made.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In mech., the traverse of a piston, or of any reciprocating or rocking element of an engine or machine, in which the driving element is moving upward, or the principal driven element is coming up.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stroke normally made in an upward direction
Sorry, no etymologies found.