from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A colorless or white crystalline compound, CO(NH2)OC2H5, used in organic synthesis and formerly as a palliative treatment for leukemia.
- n. Any of several esters, other than the ethyl ester, of carbamic acid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A white crystalline organic compound, ethyl-carbamate, NH2COOC2H5, used in the synthesis of other organic compounds.
- n. Any compound of having this general structure.
- n. Polyurethane.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A white crystalline substance, NH2.CO.OC2H5, produced by the action of ammonia on ethyl carbonate or by heating urea nitrate and ethyl alcohol. It is used as a hypnotic, antipyretic, and antispasmodic. Hence, any ester of carbamic acid.
- n. same as polyurethane.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In chem., any ester of carbamic acid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ester of carbamic acid
ur(o)-1 + eth(yl) + -ane.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)