American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A colorless or white crystalline compound, CO(NH2)OC2H5, used in organic synthesis and formerly as a palliative treatment for leukemia.
- n. Any of several esters, other than the ethyl ester, of carbamic acid.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In chem., any ester of carbamic acid.
- n. organic chemistry, uncountable A white crystalline organic compound, ethyl-carbamate, NH2COOC2H5, used in the synthesis of other organic compounds.
- n. organic chemistry, countable Any compound of having this general structure.
- n. informal Polyurethane.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Org. Chem.) A white crystalline substance, NH2.CO.OC2H5, produced by the action of ammonia on ethyl carbonate or by heating urea nitrate and ethyl alcohol. It is used as a hypnotic, antipyretic, and antispasmodic. Hence, any ester of carbamic acid.
- n. same as polyurethane.
- n. an ester of carbamic acid
- ur(o)-1 + eth(yl) + -ane. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“If oil and dirt get on the edges the new adhesive (also called urethane) may not bond correctly.”
“Yes | No | Report from ggmack wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago use urethane as head cement. it is readily available at hardware stores and a quart is about 8 bucks around here.”
“For safety purposes, RIBA's entire body is covered in a soft skin molded from an advanced lightweight urethane foam developed by TRI.”
“It is sanded smooth, and an airbrush used to apply water-based inks, with some details being burned In. It is finished with 3 coats of water-based urethane, and signed and dated on the bottom.”
“In 1970, University of Oregon track coach Bill Bowerman poured liquid urethane into a waffle iron in his garage, and running shoes have never been the same.”
“Considering the often short and intermittent use of villas, the expanded hard urethane form has been installed to cover 60 mm of the interior wall of the oval cylinder, which will reduce thermal capacity.”
“As for the interior finishing touch and for adding surface strength, synthetic resin with vermiculite material sprayed directly on the urethane form surface was the choice.”
“This sheek little setting in the May edition of Wallpaper Magazine shows the red urethane Lover's Rug and Table #5 by FredriksonStallard.”
“The Geico Plastic Ball Championship (ESPN, 1 p.m. ET, Sunday) will use the same type of plastic balls that tour pros slung in the 1980s, before moving on to reactive resin urethane balls that are easier to hook, quickly raised everyday players 'scores and, says PBA Tour Chief Operating Officer Tom Clark, put the pro game "on steroids.”
“Due to be launched outside the U.S. in Spring 2012, the 20XI has a light polymer resin core for slower spin off the tee and two heavy urethane layers for fast spin around the green.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘urethane’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
It's a hazardous world out there...poison all around. I've tried not to include too many drugs (including medicines) and have ignored the fact that too much of anything can poison you. We're going ...
Looking for tweets for urethane.