American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To sting or whip with or as if with nettles.
- v. To produce a stinging or itching sensation.
- adj. Characterized by the presence of hives.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To sting like a nettle; nettle with stinging hairs; produce urtication in or of.
- To have or exercise the faculty of urticating; effect urtication; sting.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To sting with, or as with, nettles; to irritate; to annoy.
- v. sting with or as with nettles and cause a stinging pain or sensation
- v. whip with or as with nettles
- Medieval Latin urticāre, urticāt-, from Latin urtica, nettle. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He mispronounced quite common words: urticate, salpinx, bordereau.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘urticate’.
Please contribute your favorite words from any of Gene Wolfe’s books to this prize-winning list.
In case you come across words in this list which are too commonplace to fit in, please ...
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Looking for tweets for urticate.