from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To sting or whip with or as if with nettles.
- intransitive v. To produce a stinging or itching sensation.
- adj. Characterized by the presence of hives.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To have or produce a stinging sensation, as of nettles or urticating hair.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. To sting with, or as with, nettles; to irritate; to annoy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To sting like a nettle; nettle with stinging hairs; produce urtication in or of.
- To have or exercise the faculty of urticating; effect urtication; sting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. sting with or as with nettles and cause a stinging pain or sensation
- v. whip with or as with nettles
Medieval Latin urticāre, urticāt-, from Latin urtica, nettle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)