American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having valvelike parts.
- adj. Botany Meeting at the edges without overlapping, as some petals do.
- adj. Botany Opening by valves, as the capsule of a lily or iris.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In anatomy and zoology: Like a valve in form or function; resembling or serving for a valve; forming a valve; valvular; valviform: as, a valvate fold of membrane, Having a valve; provided with valves; valviferous; valvated: as, valvate vessels; a valvate orifice.
- In botany, united by the margins only, and opening as if by doors or valves, as the capsules of regularly dehiscent fruits, the anthers of certain Ericaceæ, and the parts of a perianth which in the bud meet without overlapping: said also of an estivation thus characterized.
- adj. Having valves (that open and close)
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Resembling, or serving as, a valve; consisting of, or opening by, a valve or valves; valvular.
- adj. Meeting at the edges without overlapping; -- said of the sepals or the petals of flowers in æstivation, and of leaves in vernation.
- adj. Opening as if by doors or valves, as most kinds of capsules and some anthers.
“_Combretum_ presents several points in common with Rhamneae; valvate calyx, and tendency to want of petals; to Elaeagneae in calyx and furfuraceous scales; a decandrous Rhamneae would differ but little in flowers from Combretum.”
“To Santalaceae they approach in processes, valvate corolla, and placentation, also to Loranthaceae.”
“I may remark, that the aestivation of Kydia is scarcely valvate.”
“Punica from this is certainly distinct, owing praeter alia to its valvate calyx.”
“It will be remembered, also, how, in certain natural orders, under ordinary circumstances, considerable diversity in placentation exists, according as the margins of the carpels are merely valvate or are infolded so as to reach the centre.”
“From _Uvaria_ the _Cananga_ differs in its valvate petals, and from _Unona_ in the arrangement of the seeds in two rows.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘valvate’.
A hodgepodge, jumble, jambalaya, *gallimaufry, circus and tent revival of plant anatomy and morphology terms and phrases - its a big tent, and no tickets are required.
List of terms used in the study and classification of pollen and spores - both fossil and modern.
the concise british flora in colour (w. keble martin) - glossary - edited, and to be added to
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Looking for tweets for valvate.