from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having valvelike parts.
- adj. Botany Meeting at the edges without overlapping, as some petals do.
- adj. Botany Opening by valves, as the capsule of a lily or iris.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having valves (that open and close)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Resembling, or serving as, a valve; consisting of, or opening by, a valve or valves; valvular.
- adj. Meeting at the edges without overlapping; -- said of the sepals or the petals of flowers in æstivation, and of leaves in vernation.
- adj. Opening as if by doors or valves, as most kinds of capsules and some anthers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In anatomy and zoology: Like a valve in form or function; resembling or serving for a valve; forming a valve; valvular; valviform: as, a valvate fold of membrane, Having a valve; provided with valves; valviferous; valvated: as, valvate vessels; a valvate orifice.
- In botany, united by the margins only, and opening as if by doors or valves, as the capsules of regularly dehiscent fruits, the anthers of certain Ericaceæ, and the parts of a perianth which in the bud meet without overlapping: said also of an estivation thus characterized.
Sorry, no etymologies found.