from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Obsolete Velvet or a velvetlike fabric.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fabric similar to velvet
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Velvet.
- n. A substance resembling velvet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In hat-making, to smooth off or dress with a velure, as the nap of a silk hat.
- n. A textile fabric having a thick soft nap; velvet or velveteen.
- n. A pad of silk or plush used by hatters for smoothing and giving a luster to the surface of hats. Also called looer, lure.
Over the pictures, the vases, the old brown plush rocking-chairs and the stool, over the three gilt chairs, over the new chintz-covered easy chair and the gray velure sofa -- over everything everywhere, was the familiar coating of smoke grime.
When he came, Mistress Marian was standing i 'th' great door o 'th' castle, in her hawking gown o 'green velure cloth laced all with silver cord; her plumed hat was on her curls, and her hawk, Beryl, on her fist.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.