from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Obsolete Velvet or a velvetlike fabric.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fabric similar to velvet
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Velvet.
- n. A substance resembling velvet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A textile fabric having a thick soft nap; velvet or velveteen.
- n. A pad of silk or plush used by hatters for smoothing and giving a luster to the surface of hats. Also called looer, lure.
- In hat-making, to smooth off or dress with a velure, as the nap of a silk hat.
Alteration of French velours; see velour.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Alteration of velour (Wiktionary)