from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A slow-burning match formerly used for lighting cigars; a fusee.
- adj. Marked by sudden or violent outbursts: a vesuvian temper.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Vesuvius, a volcano near Naples.
- n. Vesuvianite.
- n. A kind of match or fusee for lighting cigars, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Mount Vesuvius, a volcano near Naples; resembling Vesuvius; volcanic.
- n. In mineralogy, same as vesuvianite.
- n. A kind of match, used for lighting cigars, etc.; a fusee. Also Vesuvius.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a green or yellow or brown mineral consisting of a hydrated silicate; it occurs as crystals in limestone and is used a gemstone
After Mount Vesuvius .(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)